Thursday, January 30, 2014

Oak Aged Old Rasputin 2011, and the need for Courage

This is the 2011 Oak Aged Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing.  It's about 12% ABV so not for the faint at heart.  However its aged in bourbon barrels and the depths of flavor just keep unfolding with every sip.  Now, while I really love my watering hole, it really needs a fire place for this beer.  Not only would the warmth of an open hearth with hard woods crackling be nice, the smokey aroma would complement the beer very well. The aroma of the beer is liquorice and the middle is full bodied with a hint of coffee.  There is a bit of alcohol burn in the finish, but that is to be expected with this high an ABV.  I won't be having two of these tonight, but this one is mighty fine. 

I'm preaching on the courage of Mary and Joseph this Sunday.  We had a lot of people at church last Sunday, and I am hoping for a repeat.  The Church of the Resurrection is a special place and the more people we gather around the altar for God to feed, the more people we can feed out in the world.

The barkeep at my watering hole just gave me a fantastic piece of news.  During Beer Week in february they are doing an O'dell Brewing Cask day.  One cask will be a Peanut Butter Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout.  The Lugene is one of the few beers I have had more than once here at the waterhole.  I can't imagine what a peanut butter version will be like. Stay tuned folks this is about to get real!

No comments:

Post a Comment