Friday, July 26, 2013

Tea, Buffalo Sweat, and Prayer

I am a little under the weather today; so I am not visiting Krug Park for my traditional two beers new to me.  Instead I hit up my local Scooter's Coffee Shop to do my sermon editing. 

I am a big fan of Scooters.  Their coffee is great and their service is always fast.  Despite my ability to main line coffee, I went with an Earl Grey Tea today trying to get over this allergy induced congestion I got going on today.

Now, have no fear.  I did get to try a new beer last night.  My wife was out last night so I had a chance to do some music composition.  I am working on a piece for my friend Brian Hogg's Little Big Band at Northern Kentucky University.  An the rich and complex flavors of an oatmeal cream stout seemed like the perfect pairing for the Oliver Nelson-esque sounds I sought.


So, I tried  Tallgrass Brewing's Buffalo Sweat.  It is good, as one would expect from Tallgrass, but not my absolute favorite stout.  Then again nothing will eclipse Guinness in the realms of stout.  I like the rich body and the clean finish.  However, it was a little thin almost watery.  Nonetheless, if you are looking for something that isn't as thick as Guinness but still a good stout, the Buffalo Sweat is a good option.

On the preaching front, this week's gospel is Luke's account the story of Jesus teaching the disciples what we have come to call the Lord's Prayer.  The challenge here is the end of the passage includes the famous, "Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and it will be opened to you," bit.   It is all fine and dandy to say that God answers our prayers except... What about the faithful who spend years praying for things never to get an answer? Like the couple with fertility issues that prays for a child, or the wife who prays for deliverance from an abusive husband. What about the man who prays to be healed of cancer or the women who prays for her son to stop using heroin?  I struggled with that a lot this week.  You should come hear my answer Sunday at Church of the Resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment