Friday, February 16, 2018

Psalm 40

I actually wrote this yesterday, but I did not get it posted last night.  So, I'm still on track with my Lenten discipline.  I tried to write this one in Phrygian mode.  I will always remember Lauren Hill reading this Psalm at the Grammy's in her acceptance speech.  I wanted to convey both the adversity of trials and hardship, along with the joy of deliverance. 


1. I waited patiently u- | pon the | LORD;*
he stooped to | me and | heard my | cry.

2. He lifted me out of the desolate pit, out of the | mire and | clay; *
he set my feet upon a high cliff and | made my | footing | sure.

3. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise | to our | God; *
many shall see, and stand in awe, and put | their trust | in the | LORD.

4. Happy are they who | trust in the | LORD! *
they do not resort to evil | spirits or | turn to false | gods.

5. Great things are they that you have done, O LORD my God! 
how great your wonders and your | plans for | us! *
there is none who can | be com- | pared with | you.

6. Oh, that I could make them known | and tell | them! *
but they are | more than | I can | count.

7. In sacrifice and offering you | take no | pleasure *
(you have gi- | ven me | ears to | hear you);

8. Burnt-offering and sin-offering you | have not re- | quired, *
and so I | said, "Be- | hold, I | come.

9. In the roll of the book it is written con- | cerning | me: *
'I love to do your will, O my God; your | law is | deep in my | heart.'"

10. I proclaimed righteousness in the great | congre- | gation; * 
behold, I did not restrain my lips; | and that, O | LORD, you | know.

11. Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
I have spoken of your faithfulness and | your de- | liverance; *
I have not concealed your love and faithfulness | from the great | congre- | gation.

No comments:

Post a Comment