Wednesday, February 18, 2015

40 days of chant Psalm 1

So for my lenten discipline this year I am writing an Anglican Chant each day.  Technically an Anglican Chant can be used for any psalm, but I'll be using Psalms 1 through 40 so that the writing process will be a meditation on each one.  So, below is Psalm 1.  I am using the text from the BCP 1979 psalter, which is in the public domain.

 1 Happy are they who have not walked in the counsel of the wicked, *
       nor lingered in the way of sinners,
       nor sat in the seats of the scornful!
 2 Their delight is in the law of the Lord, *
      and they meditate on his law day and night.  
3 They are like trees planted by streams of water,
          bearing fruit in due season, with leaves that do not wither; *
       everything they do shall prosper.
 4 It is not so with the wicked; *
       they are like chaff which the wind blows away.

5 Therefore the wicked shall not stand upright when judgment comes, *
      nor the sinner in the council of the righteous.
6 For the Lord knows the way of the righteous, *
     but the way of the wicked is doomed.


I would love for this chant to be used, so I grant permission for it to be used in any liturgical setting.  However, once I have all forty done, I'll publish them as a set on my website: www.barefootpriest.com.  I do hope you'll buy it if you plan to use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment