Thursday, February 19, 2015

40 Days of Chant Psalm 2

So today is the second day of Lent; so today's chant if for Psalm 2.  Again, the text comes from the BCP 1979 Psalter.  I split this psalm because there is a change in the text.  I did a single chant for the first five verses and a double chant for verses 6-13.  However, they are both in Emaj, but the single chant is deliberately ambiguous to reflect the questions in the text.  Oh, and I promise to get a beer post up tomorrow.


1 Why are the nations in an uproar? *
 Why do the peoples mutter empty threats?
 2 Why do the kings of the earth rise up in revolt,
and the princes plot together, *
 against the Lord and against his Anointed?
 3 “Let us break their yoke,” they say; *
 “let us cast off their bonds from us.”
 4 He whose throne is in heaven is laughing; *
 the Lord has them in derision.
 5 Then he speaks to them in his wrath, *
 and his rage fills them with terror.

6 “I myself have set my king *
upon my holy hill of Zion.”
7 Let me announce the decree of the Lord: *
he said to me, “You are my Son; this day have I begotten you.

8 Ask of me, and I will give you the nations for your inheritance *
and the ends of the earth for your possession.
9 You shall crush them with an iron rod *
and shatter them like a piece of pottery.”

10 And now, you kings, be wise; *
be warned, you rulers of the earth.
11 Submit to the Lord with fear, *
and with trembling bow before him;

12 Lest he be angry and you perish; *
for his wrath is quickly kindled.
13 Happy are they all *
who take refuge in him!


No comments:

Post a Comment