Friday, March 13, 2015

40 Days of Chant Psalm 18

I am behind.  My cold returned with a vengeance, and my fuzzy medicated brain just could not come up with chord progressions.  So, today is catch up day, starting with Psalm 18.  This is the longest psalm I have done so far.  The prayer book splits it into two parts (vv. 1-20, 21-50).  Sticking with the prayer book's division I wrote two double chants.  Hopefully that is enough chord changes to maintain interest in a psalm this long.  The first one is in C-maj because the psalm is offering thanksgiving to God. I wrote the second part in E-maj because versus 21-50 still have a positive tone but it shifts toward praise instead of gratitude.  I also used less sevenths and ninths in the second chant to give it a more open feel.

1 I love you, O Lord my strength, * 
     O Lord my stronghold, my crag, and my haven. 
2 My God, my rock in whom I put my trust, * 
     my shield, the horn of my salvation, and my refuge; you are worthy of praise. 
3 I will call upon the Lord, * 
     and so shall I be saved from my enemies. 
4 The breakers of death rolled over me, * 
     and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid. 
5 The cords of hell entangled me, * 
     and the snares of death were set for me. 
6 I called upon the Lord in my distress * 
     and cried out to my God for help. 
7 He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling; * 
     my cry of anguish came to his ears.
8 The earth reeled and rocked; * 
     the roots of the mountains shook; 
     they reeled because of his anger. 
9 Smoke rose from his nostrils 
     and a consuming fire out of his mouth; * 
     hot burning coals blazed forth from him. 
10 He parted the heavens and came down * 
     with a storm cloud under his feet. 
11 He mounted on cherubim and flew; * 
     he swooped on the wings of the wind. 
12 He wrapped darkness about him; * 
     he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion. 
13 From the brightness of his presence, 
     through the clouds, * 
     burst hailstones and coals of fire. 
14 The Lord thundered out of heaven; * 
     the Most High uttered his voice. 
15 He loosed his arrows and scattered them; * 
     he hurled thunderbolts and routed them. 
16 The beds of the seas were uncovered, 
     and the foundations of the world laid bare, * 
      at your battle cry, O Lord, 
      at the blast of the breath of your nostrils. 
17 He reached down from on high and grasped me; * 
     he drew me out of great waters. 
18 He delivered me from my strong enemies 
     and from those who hated me; * 
     for they were too mighty for me. 
19 They confronted me in the day of my disaster; * 
      but the Lord was my support.
20 He brought me out into an open place; * 
      he rescued me because he delighted in me.

21 The Lord rewarded me because of my righteous dealing; * 
     because my hands were clean he rewarded me; 
22 For I have kept the ways of the Lord * 
     and have not offended against my God; 
23 For all his judgments are before my eyes, * 
     and his decrees I have not put away from me; 
24 For I have been blameless with him * 
     and have kept myself from iniquity; 
25 Therefore the Lord rewarded me 
     according to my righteous dealing, * 
     because of the cleanness of my hands in his sight. 
26 With the faithful you show yourself faithful, O God; * 
     with the forthright you show yourself forthright. 
27 With the pure you show yourself pure, * 
     but with the crooked you are wily. 
28 You will save a lowly people, * 
     but you will humble the haughty eyes. 
29 You, O Lord, are my lamp; * 
     my God, you make my darkness bright. 
30 With you I will break down an enclosure; * 
     with the help of my God I will scale any wall. 
31 As for God, his ways are perfect; 
     the words of the Lord are tried in the fire; * 
     he is a shield to all who trust in him.
32 For who is God, but the Lord? * 
    who is the Rock, except our God? 
33 It is God who girds me about with strength * 
    and makes my way secure. 
34 He makes me sure-footed like a deer * 
    and lets me stand firm on the heights. 
35 He trains my hands for battle * 
    and my arms for bending even a bow of bronze. 
36 You have given me your shield of victory; * 
    your right hand also sustains me; 
    your loving care makes me great. 
37 You lengthen my stride beneath me, * 
    and my ankles do not give way. 
38 I pursue my enemies and overtake them; * 
    I will not turn back till I have destroyed them. 
39 I strike them down, and they cannot rise; * 
    they fall defeated at my feet. 
40 You have girded me with strength for the battle; * 
    you have cast down my adversaries beneath me; 
    you have put my enemies to flight. 
41 I destroy those who hate me; t
    hey cry out, but there is none to help them; * 
    they cry to the Lord, but he does not answer. 
42 I beat them small like dust before the wind; * 
    I trample them like mud in the streets. 
43 You deliver me from the strife of the peoples; * 
    you put me at the head of the nations. 
44 A people I have not known shall serve me; 
   no sooner shall they hear than they shall obey me; * 
   strangers will cringe before me.
45 The foreign peoples will lose heart; * 
    they shall come trembling out of their strongholds. 
46 The Lord lives! Blessed is my Rock! * 
    Exalted is the God of my salvation! 
47 He is the God who gave me victory * 
    and cast down the peoples beneath me. 
48 You rescued me from the fury of my enemies; 
   you exalted me above those who rose against me; * 
   you saved me from my deadly foe. 
49 Therefore will I extol you among the nations, O Lord, * 
    and sing praises to your Name. 
50 He multiplies the victories of his king; * 
    he shows loving-kindness to his anointed, 
    to David and his descendants for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment