Thursday, March 26, 2015

40 Days of Chant, Psalm 30

Psalm 30 is interesting because unlike the psalms that start in a dark place and then end positive, this one starts positive, turns dark, then returns to the light, if you will.  So, I decided to do a simple progression in C-major for the first 7 verses.  Then for verses 8 - 10, I kept the soprano line virtually the same but changed the harmony to c-minor.  I return to C-major for verses 11-13 and use a perfect authentic cadence for the first time to give it a sense of finality.
1I will exalt you, O LORD,
because you have lifted me up *
    and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
2O LORD my God, I cried out to you, *
    and you restored me to health.
3You brought me up, O LORD, from the dead; *
    you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
4Sing to the LORD, you servants of his; *
    give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
5For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye, *
    his favor for a lifetime.
6Weeping may spend the night, *
    but joy comes in the morning.
7While I felt secure, I said,
"I shall never be disturbed. *
    You, L
ORD, with your favor, made me as strong as
                              the mountains."

8Then you hid your face, *
    and I was filled with fear.
9I cried to you, O LORD; *
    I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
10"What profit is there in my blood, if I go down to the Pit? *
    will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?

11Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me; *
    O L
ORD, be my helper."
12You have turned my wailing into dancing; *
    you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy.
13Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing; *
    O L
ORD my God, I will give you thanks for ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment