Tuesday, March 17, 2015

40 days of Chant, Psalm 23

I will be caught up today.  I have both Psalms 23 and 24 written, but I am going to do two posts because I did something out of character for me with 24.  Anyway, below is Psalm 23 which is probably the most famous psalm of all time.  Because of the popularity, it presents a special challenge to a composer to avoid sentimentality and cliche'.  Despite it's over use, it remains a very comforting psalm, the type of psalm you might read if you had the "blues".  So, I decided to use Blues changes to form the chant.  Now a basic 12 bar blues does not have enough chords for an anglican chant, but Bird's Changes (attributed to Charlie "Bird" Parker) do.  So, in the spirit of "stompin' the blues" here's the chant based on Bird's Blues Changes.




No comments:

Post a Comment