Monday, March 16, 2015

40 Days of Chant Psalm 19, 20, 21, and 22

Today is catch up day.  I got way behind last week because of illness.  So there are four psalms in this post, psalms 19-22.  If I can write Psalm 23 later today, I'll be completely caught up, but for now these four constitute a productive morning. Psalms 19, 20, and 21 are all positive in tone.  However, psalm 22 is famous for its angst and despair.  Like a lot of the angrier psalms, 22 switches in tone to positive and rejoicing.  So, I wrote an atonal double chant that hints at Bb Minor for the first 21 verses, and then a tonal one in that ends in Bb Major after a jaunt in Dd major for verses 22-30.
1The heavens declare the glory of God, *
    and the firmament shows his handiwork.
2One day tells its tale to another, *
    and one night imparts knowledge to another.
3Although they have no words or language, *
    and their voices are not heard,
4Their sound has gone out into all lands, *
    and their message to the ends of the world.
5In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun; *
    it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
    it rejoices like a champion to run its course.

6It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
and runs about to the end of it again; *
    nothing is hidden from its burning heat.


7The law of the LORD is perfect
                              and revives the soul; *
    the testimony of the L
ORD is sure
                               and gives wisdom to the innocent.
8The statutes of the LORD are just
                              and rejoice the heart; *
    the commandment of the L
ORD is clear
                               and gives light to the eyes.
9The fear of the LORD is clean
                              and endures for ever; *
    the judgments of the L
ORD are true
                               and righteous altogether.
10More to be desired are they than gold,
                              more than much fine gold, *
    sweeter far than honey,
                               than honey in the comb.
11By them also is your servant enlightened, *
    and in keeping them there is great reward.
12Who can tell how often he offends? *
    cleanse me from my secret faults.
13Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
let them not get dominion over me; *
    then shall I be whole and sound,
    and innocent of a great offense.
14Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my
                              heart be acceptable in your sight, *
    O L
ORD, my strength and my redeemer.

1May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble, *
    the Name of the God of Jacob defend you;
2Send you help from his holy place *
    and strengthen you out of Zion;
3Remember all your offerings *
    and accept your burnt sacrifice;
4Grant you your heart's desire *
    and prosper all your plans.
5We will shout for joy at your victory
and triumph in the Name of our God; *
    may the L
ORD grant all your requests.
6Now I know that the LORD gives victory to his anointed; *
    he will answer him out of his holy heaven,
    with the victorious strength of his right hand.
7Some put their trust in chariots and some in horses, *
    but we will call upon the Name of the L
ORD our God.
8They collapse and fall down, *
    but we will arise and stand upright.
9O LORD, give victory to the king *
    and answer us when we call.



1The king rejoices in your strength, O LORD; *
    how greatly he exults in your victory!
2You have given him his heart's desire; *
    you have not denied him the request of his lips.


3For you meet him with blessings of prosperity, *
    and set a crown of fine gold upon his head.
4He asked you for life, and you gave it to him: *
    length of days, for ever and ever.
5His honor is great, because of your victory; *
    splendor and majesty have you bestowed upon him.
6For you will give him everlasting felicity *
    and will make him glad with the joy of your presence.
7For the king puts his trust in the LORD; *
    because of the loving-kindness of the Most High, he
                              will not fall.
8Your hand will lay hold upon all your enemies; *
    your right hand will seize all those who hate you.
9You will make them like a fiery furnace *
    at the time of your appearing, O L
ORD;
10You will swallow them up in your wrath, *
    and fire shall consume them.
11You will destroy their offspring from the land *
    and their descendants from among the peoples of the earth.
12Though they intend evil against you
and devise wicked schemes, *
    yet they shall not prevail.
13For you will put them to flight *
    and aim your arrows at them.
14Be exalted, O LORD, in your might; *
    we will sing and praise your power.
1My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? *
    and are so far from my cry
    and from the words of my distress?
2O my God, I cry in the daytime, but you do not answer; *
    by night as well, but I find no rest.
3Yet you are the Holy One, *
    enthroned upon the praises of Israel.
4Our forefathers put their trust in you; *
    they trusted, and you delivered them.
5They cried out to you and were delivered; *
    they trusted in you and were not put to shame.
6But as for me, I am a worm and no man, *
    scorned by all and despised by the people.
7All who see me laugh me to scorn; *
    they curl their lips and wag their heads, saying,
8"He trusted in the LORD; let him deliver him; *
    let him rescue him, if he delights in him."
9Yet you are he who took me out of the womb, *
    and kept me safe upon my mother's breast.
10I have been entrusted to you ever since I was born; *
    you were my God when I was still in my
                              mother's womb.
11Be not far from me, for trouble is near, *
    and there is none to help.

12Many young bulls encircle me; *
    strong bulls of Bashan surround me.
13They open wide their jaws at me, *
    like a ravening and a roaring lion.
14I am poured out like water;
all my bones are out of joint; *
    my heart within my breast is melting wax.
15My mouth is dried out like a pot-sherd;
my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; *
    and you have laid me in the dust of the grave.
16Packs of dogs close me in,
and gangs of evildoers circle around me; *
    they pierce my hands and my feet;
    I can count all my bones.
17They stare and gloat over me; *
    they divide my garments among them;
    they cast lots for my clothing.
18Be not far away, O LORD; *
    you are my strength; hasten to help me.
19Save me from the sword, *
    my life from the power of the dog.
20Save me from the lion's mouth, *
    my wretched body from the horns of wild bulls.
21I will declare your Name to my brethren; *
    in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.
22Praise the LORD, you that fear him; *
    stand in awe of him, O offspring of Israel;
    all you of Jacob's line, give glory.
23For he does not despise nor abhor the poor in their poverty;
neither does he hide his face from them; *
    but when they cry to him he hears them.
24My praise is of him in the great assembly; *
    I will perform my vows in the presence of those who
                               worship him.
25The poor shall eat and be satisfied,
and those who seek the L
ORD shall praise him: *
    "May your heart live for ever!"
26All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to
                                the L
ORD, *
    and all the families of the nations bow before him.
27For kingship belongs to the LORD; *
    he rules over the nations.
28To him alone all who sleep in the earth bow down
                                in worship; *
    all who go down to the dust fall before him.
29My soul shall live for him;
my descendants shall serve him; *
    they shall be known as the L
ORD'S for ever.
30They shall come and make known to a people yet unborn *
    the saving deeds that he has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment